I always have to be very sneaky about how I put vegetables into our meals because my husband is not a veggie lover. I find that if I dice them up into itty, bitty pieces and cook them in some kind of meat and a little sauce, he will eat them! Lettuce wraps are one of those sneaky foods. They are colorful, flavorful, pack a punch of heat and taste exactly like those delicious wraps from P.F. Changs! But… THEY ARE HEALTHIER!
It’s really surprising how filling these lettuce wraps can be. One recipe is enough for two people or four people if you have another side dish such as rice or a stir fry. So, next time you are thinking of ordering chinese, try these instead! They are much healthier than any kind of takeout and easier on the wallet too. Happy wrapping y’all!
- 1lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- salt & pepper, a dash of each
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch nob fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
- dash of fresh pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2-8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 10-12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high. Add chicken, onion, salt & pepper, and cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat. Add in minced garlic and ginger, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce and pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. Add into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add green onion and water chestnuts into the skillet then cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are soft and the water chestnuts are heated through.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, and serve with cold lettuce leaves.