It’s called a “buckeye” because this candy resembles the nuts of a buckeye tree, which is the state tree of Ohio. It is a sweet confection of peanut butter, powdered sugar and butter dipped in chocolate. They are sweet, sweet, sweet! One or two of these puppies, and you are on your way to a sugar coma. But, it’s worth it because it’s the holidays and you only have them once a year.
As I am getting ready to go home to Texas for Christmas, I can only hope that when I arrive, my grandma will have a fresh batch of buckeyes sitting on the counter.
- 1 lb. jar crunchy peanut butter
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 box (4 cups) confectioners sugar
- 1 bag (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 bar of paraffin wax, chopped fine
- Combine first three ingredients in a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Form the dough into balls (size is up to you) and chill overnight (or freeze for about an hour.)
- Melt chocolate chips and paraffin on a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
- Dip cold dough into the chocolate to cover 3/4 of the ball.
- Chill to set.