Last night I made a creamy, dreamy pasta dish. The sauce was rich, flavorful, and very filling but I did NOT use cream! That’s right! I found this recipe in Cooking Light Magazine and at first I was skeptical of a recipe that promises a “creamy sauce” without the use of heavy cream but I tried it anyway. The secret to getting a nice thick sauce is the combination of light cream cheese and the pasta water.
Here’s what I love about this dinner:
- The ingredients required are probably already items you have in your pantry/refrigerator.
- It takes less than 30 minutes to make!
- One serving is only 383 calories!
- Fresh herbs (in this case, basil) add so much flavor to a dish without adding calories.
- It only costs $7.47 to make the entire dish.
- You could easily add meat of your choice to make this dish a little more hearty.
|Fettuccine with Tomato-Cream Sauce||
Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 25 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 8 oz. uncooked fettuccine
- 4 qt. boiling water
- 1/2 t. salt, divided
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3 T. coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 3 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/4 c. oil-cured olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 c. small fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- Cook pasta in 4 qts. boiling water with 1/4 teaspoon salt for 8 minutes or until noodles are almost al dente. Drain pasta through a sieve over a bowl; reserve 1 1/3 c. pasta cooking water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes or until very fragrant and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/4 t. salt and tomatoes; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved 1 1/3 c. pasta water; bring to a boil. Add cream cheese; stir until smooth. Add pasta, olives, and red pepper; cook 3 minutes or until pasta is al dente, tossing to coat. Divide pasta mixture into 4 servings; top each with 1 T. basil. Divide Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese evenly.
Serving size: 1 1/4 c. Calories: 383 Fat: 14.2 Fiber: 3.6 Protein: 12.9