Yep, my husband and I are so excited to announce that we have a little tater tot coming sometime around January 19th! We are thrilled to pieces and can’t wait for this next exciting chapter in our lives! With all that said, I have been sick, sick, sick and have pretty much hated the sight of food, much less writing about it. I’m fourteen weeks now and my appetite is starting to slowly come back so I am attempting to get back to my blog and cook y’all some good food!
Today, I will start with one of my preggo favorites. Strawberry Granita. You might remember the lemon ice I made not too long ago which I have LOVED since I have been pregnant. This strawberry ice is so refreshing and bursting with fresh fruit! Oh, and it’s simple simon. Seriously takes about 10 minutes to prepare but the secret to granita is the scraping. Once you stick it in the freezer, you have to take it out every half an hour or so for about two hours and scrap it with a fork so you get that nice shaved ice effect. If you wait till it’s frozen solid to start scraping, it’s not gonna be pretty and you better have some strong muscles!
- 1 cup hot water (almost boiling)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups sliced hulled strawberries (1 pound whole berries) plus additional berries for garnish
- Stir first 3 ingredients in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Blend 3 cups strawberries in processor until smooth. Add sugar syrup and blend until combined.
- Pour mixture into 13x9x2-inch nonstick metal baking pan. Freeze until icy around edges, about 25 minutes. Using fork, stir icy portions into middle of pan. Freeze until mixture is frozen, stirring edges into center every 20 to 30 minutes, about 1 1/2 hours. Using fork, scrape granita into flaky crystals. Cover tightly and freeze. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.) Scrape granita into bowls. Garnish with berries and serve.
Recipe Source: Epicurious.com