Recipe type: snack
- 5 lemons
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. basil leaves
- Juice 5 lemons and save the lemon halves.
- Bring the juice of the lemons, sugar, and 3/4 c. water to a boil in a saucepan. Meanwhile, zest two of the lemons you juiced into wide strips. I used my vegetable peeler.
- Add basil leaves and zest to the boiling mixture and turn off the heat. Let it steep for 45 minutes.
- Strain ingredients in a mesh sieve and toss the basil and zest. Add 2 c. of cold water to the mixture, then pour into a baking dish and freeze for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, hollow out 6 of the juiced lemon halves, cut off the pointy tips of the lemons so they are able to stand up straight (like a cup) and freeze. I used a grapefruit spoon to hollow out the lemons.
- Scrape the ice with a fork; freeze 4 more hours, scraping every hour.
- Serve in lemon cups.
Recipe by Sweet Tea and Taters at http://sweetteaandtaters.com/?p=1722