Lately I have been working really hard on trying to incorporate more leafy greens into my diet. EASIER SAID THAN DONE, until I found this….
This is the solution I have been looking for! A sweet, super filling green smoothie. It’s packed with vitamins, protein, fiber, folic acid, and about 4 cups of spinach leaves but honestly, if the smoothie weren’t green in color you would have no idea that there is a single leaf of spinach in it. I made this smoothie twice last week for lunch and I was SO full I had trouble finishing the entire thing.
So, here’s what you need…
1. Frozen banana (peeled)
2. 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used vanilla flavor)
3. 1 T. peanut butter
4. 1 cup milk (any kind- soy, almond, or traditional moo-moo milk)
5. Approximately 4 c. spinach (I filled the blender to the top with spinach)
Puree it all in the blender and then get to sipping! This smoothie is a slim 350 calories, packs 10 grams of fiber, and an amazing 21 grams of protein! How’s that for SUPER HEALTHY?! Once you try this more traditional recipe, you can get your creative juices flowing. Add other fruits, use different flavor yogurts, try another milk, or add a little protein powder but don’t forget to add that spinach!
I found this recipe at Iowa Girl Eats but apparently there are LOTS of variations to this super popular green smoothie! Here are some other bloggers that have gone green:
- For the Love of Food features KALE in her smoothie
- Annie’s Eats green monster smoothie is a non-dairy version, packed with lots of fruit
- Wishful Chef keeps her smoothie simple with only four ingredients
- Pinch of Yum adds cottage cheese which I can only imagine adds a nice creamy texture to the smoothie
I know the GREEN can throw you off but seriously, it’s delicious. Just give it a try! Go GREEN!