I have a bunch of vanilla beans left over from the vanilla extract I made at Christmas time so I thought I would just pop one in the strawberry jam. My official jam taste tester (aka- Dad) is very satisfied so I think this recipe is a keeper!
|Vanilla Bean Strawberry Jam|
- 5 cups crushed strawberries (about 5 lbs)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp Pectin (powdered kind, not liquid & not instant)
- 7 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 8 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE strawberries, vanilla bean and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- ADD entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary & remove vanilla bean.
- LADLE hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Recipe Source: Fresh Preserving