|Gouda, candied bacon, and potato pizza || ||
Recipe type: main
- pizza dough
- pesto sauce
- 8 ounce wheel of smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 russet potato or 3-4 small red potatoes, cooked and sliced thin
- candied bacon, see recipe below
- small diced sweet bell peppers
- Candied Bacon Ingredients:
- 6 slices applewood bacon, cut in 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Pat or roll out pizza dough on a lightly oiled pizza stone to approximately a 14 inch circle. Shape does not have to be perfect.
- Spread pesto over dough to within ½ in of edge all the way around.
- Sprinkle pesto layer with about 2/3 of the cheese. Lay potato slices on top of cheese and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and just a bit of fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle with remainder of cheese, then candied bacon & sweet peppers over the potatoes.
- Bake the pizza for 13-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Directions for candied bacon:
- Pre-heat oven to 400˚F.
- Combine bacon pieces, brown sugar and a generous grind of black pepper and toss to coat bacon with the sugar.
- Turn sugared bacon mixture out onto prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden, stirring every 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the bacon. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a sheet of parchment paper. Blot lightly with a paper towel to remove extra grease. Allow to cool.
Recipe by Sweet Tea and Taters at http://sweetteaandtaters.com/?p=1435