I love pizza and I love making homemade pizza! Making the pizza at home allows you to experiment with some interesting ingredients and it also allows you to control the calories a little bit better. This week’s special is a candied bacon, potato, and smoked gouda pizza! My inspiration for this pizza came from a similar pizza I saw over at The Cafe Sucre Farine, that was posted on FoodGawker. You might be wondering: “how do I get this deliciousness off of this computer and into my mouth???”
Come my little pizza lovers. I will show you the way.
1. How do you candy bacon? Well, you cut it up into 1 inch pieces and roll it around in a bunch of brown sugar of course! Just do it. It’s awesome.
2. Peel and slice a russet potato really thin and stick the slices in a microwave safe bowl with a little olive oil. Cook about 2-3 minutes or until the slices are soft and cooked through.
3. Shred your smoked gouda cheese. Oh it’s soooo good-a. Wah-wah, cheese joke! You could use mozzarella or an italian blend, but where’s the fun in that?
You’re ingredients are ready just like that and now you can assemble the pizza! In just a few minutes you will be well on your way to pizza and a movie night!
|Gouda, candied bacon, and potato pizza|
- pizza dough
- pesto sauce
- 8 ounce wheel of smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 russet potato or 3-4 small red potatoes, cooked and sliced thin
- candied bacon, see recipe below
- small diced sweet bell peppers
- Candied Bacon Ingredients:
- 6 slices applewood bacon, cut in 1″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Pat or roll out pizza dough on a lightly oiled pizza stone to approximately a 14 inch circle. Shape does not have to be perfect.
- Spread pesto over dough to within ½ in of edge all the way around.
- Sprinkle pesto layer with about 2/3 of the cheese. Lay potato slices on top of cheese and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and just a bit of fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle with remainder of cheese, then candied bacon & sweet peppers over the potatoes.
- Bake the pizza for 13-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Directions for candied bacon:
- Pre-heat oven to 400˚F.
- Combine bacon pieces, brown sugar and a generous grind of black pepper and toss to coat bacon with the sugar.
- Turn sugared bacon mixture out onto prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden, stirring every 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the bacon. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a sheet of parchment paper. Blot lightly with a paper towel to remove extra grease. Allow to cool.