We all know that the way to a girl’s heart is through chocolate. With Valentine’s Day just a week away, it’s time to share a death by chocolate recipe that is sure to leave a smile on your face.
These chocolate cake truffles are incredibly easy! THREE ingredients. Chocolate cake, Chocolate frosting, and Chocolate chips.
- You start by making a chocolate cake right out of a box and bake it in a 9×13 pan. I used chocolate fudge cake.
- After the cake bakes, let it cool completely. Take it out of the pan and crumble it into a mixer bowl. Yes, I said crumble that pretty cake.
- Add one tub of chocolate frosting to the crumbled cake and turn the mixer on. Mix until it all comes together.
- Put the mixture in the fridge to chill for about an hour.
- Roll the batter into balls, making them whatever size you prefer. Keep in mind that once they are dipped in melted chocolate the truffles will grow in size a little bit.
- Chill the chocolate balls for about an hour.
- Melt a bag of chocolate chips with about 1-2 T. shortening in the microwave. (The shortening is optional but adds a nice shine to the truffle shell.) Dip the truffles into the melted chocolate and set on a sheet of wax paper to cool completely.
That’s it! This would be a great little gift for your kiddos teachers, a fun surprise in your hubby’s lunch, or a sweet treat for that special someone in your life!